Ducks in the cold advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Dec 29, 2012.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Hi I have 11 ducks 3 9 mon Pekins 2 2 mon buffs 2 2mon black swed and 4 7 wk old crested. First question are the 7 week old ducks ready to go outside for good if temp are in low 20's at night they are out all day with other ducks but never use their heat lighted home I am worried that they will get cold and not go in their heated house at night! Second question they share a lot with the 2 mon old girls during day and night when they go out for good has anyone had problems with older ducks not letting the younger ones eat and drink I've tried to spy during the day on them to see but they catch me and they come in my house at dark and eat like crazy! Any advice or experiences with raising ducklings in winter would be greatly appreciated.

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm...the 7 week old babies would be the ones I'd really worry about. Though it depends on what area you're in. Do you have tough winters, or fairly mild ones?

I'm in Missouri, which basically means we can be 70 degrees and sunny in the morning, and then have freezing rain, blustery wind, and temps below zero by nightfall. My ducks have always done well in the winter. Just provide a place to get out of the wind and get their feet off the snow, if there is any. I have a huge doghouse that was left on the property when we moved in. It can fit my four geese, and my 6 ducks. I fill it chock full of straw, or hay when I can afford it, and it stays super cozy in there.

I'd provide a heat lamp in a safe spot for the babies to get under if they need it. At least until they're completely feathered out.

As far as older ducks bullying younger ones goes....I've never had a problem before. In fact, I really admire ducks, because they always seem so willing to accept new individuals. Give the young ones a little extra food to the side maybe, when you feed? Just so you're sure that their getting something.

Hope this helps a little. :)

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At seven weeks, I would not leave them outdoors at night this time of year.

If everyone else is doing fine, that's good.

Some ducks are relatively sensible about coming in, but some are not, so I would not leave it to chance.

4. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I'm in south side va coldest night temps are 15 f average running from low 20s-30s days 40-50 which they do okay in with my 2 mon. old girls but no one uses their heated house they prefer to sit out in their lot. At dusk they they come in my mud room with 100 watt heat lamp temp in their playpen is around 60 f while everyone else goes to their lot. They pig out then all 4 cuddle in a corner and sleep. They seem to be very happy to get back inside but by 5 am their ready to go. Just was worried I'm babying them to much! I'll do whatever they need just didn't want to hold them back from being with others and doing the natural duck things. Storeys guide says 7-8 wks 50 or below with adequate shelter but I no first hand everyone's different Pekins were easy it was spring when they went out. 4 2 mon (almost 3mon.)old went out overnite at 6 wks nights were warmer a mon. ago and nothing was holding those ladies back! My crest babies are calm and more laid back and seem to except babying until 5 am thanks so much for the replys I am a nut about all my babies!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think you will hurt them by making winter a little easier on them. My ducks spend nights and storms and extreme weather in the walkout basement, around 40 degrees F. This week I have been under the weather, and have not been able to get the outdoor day pen tidied up (not to mention slight challenge of keeping hoses unfrozen, so the flock has gone to the tea garden (four foot fence, no top) under supervision, then back to the basement pen (that has a bunch of windows, by the way . . . not a dungeon at all).

6. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Thanks. Was stomped with wintertime and ducklings.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by