ducks in the corn field

alrosenb

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
My chickens and until recently the geese stayed out of my neighbor's corn field. But the ducks I recently got and now my geese keep going into the field and eating the leaves off of the corn stalks. Fencing the the whole area would be extremely pricey. I keep chasing them out, yelling while I do so, but they keep coming back. Any suggestions for how to keep them out? My neighbor has hundreds of acres so I'm hoping he doesn't get too mad about the little bit of eaten down corn stalks.

My grandfather used to put small posts up with pie tins on string tied to the posts. Not sure how effective it was, but he said it kept the birds out (it was never clear if the birds he was trying to keep out were chickens or wild birds, but both were around and I never saw either in his garden.)

Based on how my ducks react to the clothes line, I can imagine this working to some extent.

How much of an area are you talking?

200 feet on one side. They seem to leave the cornfield on the other side of the property alone for some reason. I think we're going to try snow fencing and t posts. Relatively inexpensive and it should keep them from wandering over (hopefully).

Last edited:
We put up some t posts and orange safety fencing/snow fencing. Seems to be working out just fine!

Back
Top Bottom