1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StBob, Feb 22, 2015.

1. StBob

StBob Chillin' With My Peeps

I was recently on holiday in Vietnam and loved seeing large flocks of ducks on farms being raised near water. The birds looked like Pekins but had some off white feathers. I also saw the occasional mallard male which had joined them.

The first photo shows some ducks next to the road take from the car. We drove to the village of Phu Cam near Hanoi as I read there was a duck farm you could visit but even though we had a Vietnamese speaker in the car asking for a duck farm in Vietnam is like asking for a corn farm in Iowa. Yes. Which one?. In the second photo you can see ducks kept on water in an enclosed area on the Red River. The farms combine rice, herbs, ducks, fish and water buffalo and recycle everything. The last photo was taken from the window of the train from Danang to Saigon. It was of a pile of ducks feathers on a piece of cloth about 1 meter (1yd) square on the train platform. It may have been some sort offering as it was Tet (Vietnamese New Year) Eve. If anyone knows for sure please reply!

I must say seeing all those ducks made for a very enjoyable holiday. And, no, I didn't eat any either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, lovely! I would never have opportunity to see or learn about this otherwise, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by