Ducks in winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat Lover 3, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    This is the first winter I have had with my pair of Ancona ducks. I'm just wondering how exactally do I keep them warm? It can get really COLD here in the winter. It's snowing where I am at right now. How do ducks keep their feet warm? Should I give them all they want in the winter?
    Also, wondering about getting a couple female chickens this spring. I saw somewhere on the internet that my drake could kill the chickens if he trys to mate with them! Is this true???

Thanks for all your help! :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, Goat Lover 3, Do you have a place that stays near or above about 30F? That ought to be good, but really rather than a number, I suggest watching and making sure they do not show signs of chilling, like lethargy, hunched up, feathers ruffled, walking stiffly.

What is the temperature in their shelter? Some of the things people do are have at least a foot of shavings for bedding, stack straw bales against the walls of the shelter, add other kinds of insulation (need to have good ventilation).

Some have heaters or lamps, I am nervous about fires. I moved mine into the walkout basement where it stays above 40F. Not heated, but it is insulated by the house and ground on three sides. The ventilation is good, and there is a huge window.

And yes, drakes can hurt or accidentally kill a chicken mating with her, from what I read here.

3. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Here in the winter the temperature can get as low as 0F or lower!
    One night it got 10F! I thought my ducks would be warmer if I locked them in the nesting box. My dad went outside at night to check on the ducks for me, and the small windows in the nesting box were dripping wetness! He opened the door so they could get fresh air.
    I put a lot of straw in the bottom and in the nesting box. My ducks do keep their feathers ruffled all the time. They also lay on their feet (I'm guessing to keep them warm) as much as possible.
    Another question I have is could my ducks be molting this time of year? My hen has a few tail feathers missing and looks all ruffled? My drake also has a couple feathers hanging on his side. A few weeks ago the coop, bathing water, and the ground was covered in feathers, from two ducks!

[​IMG]

This is what my coop looks like. Except I don't have the all the ducklings anymore, and the bottom of the coop now has a lot of straw in it.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes. Ducks will molt in winter. I would keep them warmer .

5. jclu16

jclu16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Amiga usually has good help. I know i keep straw in the house. If it gets too cold I may bring them in the house spare bathroom. I don't have an outdoor enclosure.

Worry about them this winter in TN I think it is a a little bit cooler this year.

6. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Jclu16, I also bring mine into the spare bathroom when it's too cold. What do you put down for them? I've tried towels, but now that my hose will be frozen there is no real way to clean them. I'm dreading putting hay down for the sake of cleaning it all up! Other ideas? Tia!

7. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Dang there needs to be an area duck thread.. seeing so many close to me (east TN), that have scovys specifically to learn from, and other layer ducks I'm on fence about adding and/ at least trying to learn more about how to care for here.

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    @laughingdog

Go to the Social section, there's a heading called "Where Am I? Where Are You?" Look there for your area or start a new area! :)

9. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    There is an area thread for chickens, but I'm the only one on who has ducks, and am trying to supply scovy duckings this sprng to half that want. just thought area thread for duck keepers in this area for ducks were bunch shout out were are or ask about for other areas about local duck keeping, would be good.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suppose you could try setting up such a thread here on the duck forum. . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by