Ducks just started laying, questions!

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
I am going to take a picture now of the eggs we've been getting the last couple mornings. I have 8 ducks, 4 are hens. one buff, one runner and two blue swedish. only two girls are laying so far. I hatched all these girls together in the bator, so they are the same age. 6 months. Since the two eggs look exactly the same i'm thinking they're from the blue swedish girls? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I'll brb with a photo!

well, the photos stink lol. but here they are. there is a little variation in size, but they are all the exact same color. it doesn't look like it in the picture. they are all a light cream color. thanks!

69187_eggs1.jpg

69187_eggs.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about eggs, but I do want to say that I'm glad you still have your ducks! Have you had any problems with the neighbors lately?

There's isn't much rhyme or reason to duck egg colors even within the same breed and color.
Ours are all over the place - especially Norie (black runner)

Victor (F&W runner) used to lay greenish blue eggs
Ming Mei (Chocolate runner) lays bluish green eggs
Vinny (black runner) lays greenish blue eggs with a really heavy waxy cuticle that makes the egg look anywhere from light gray to almost black
Moxy and Ollie (blue runners) lay white eggs but Moxy sometimes has a grayer egg due to the waxy cuticle
Norie (black runner) lays eggs that are sometimes white and sometimes greenish blue with or without the dark waxy cuticle....

IMG_0271.jpg

If you want to find out which duck is laying which egg there are a couple tricks to find out.
If you put lipstick or food coloring around their vent at night the color can transfer to the eggs. Just match the color on the egg to the color on the butt!

Back
Top Bottom