Ducks keep laying in the pond.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by r4eboxer, Apr 17, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    My ducks just started laying, the problem is they are laying in the pond. I know the obvious answer is to pen them up, but I want them to free range not be penned. Does anyone have any suggestions to stop this behavior? I hope it is just a problem because they are new layers and it will remedy itself.

I have provided a duck house where I leave feed but they just eat the feed and don't use the duck house to lay in. I did find a nest in the mulch of my flower bed outside the window to my bedroom but no eggs there. I think maybe a crow got those eggs. I have made a nest in the mulch around a tree where I'd like them to lay.

I have wanted duck eggs more than my chicken eggs but now I'm not getting any. [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You don't have to pen the up all day just early morning, I don't open the gate till after 10:am by then most have laid their egg. most ducks lay before daylight or before 8:am.

3. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I think the only way you are going to be able to collect eggs without a snorkle and flippers may be to close them in their house at night.
    My ducks have been laying for a while, but not in the places I try to get them to lay. (This sounds like a universal problem with ducks.)
    I free range my ducks during the day, but close them up at night for their safety, and to make sure I get eggs without an egg hunt every day.
    They lay very early in the morning. When I come out at 7/7:30 they have laid in the farthest reaches of their duck house - where they decided to lay, not in the nest box. I let them out at 7 and they get 12-14 hours of time to free range. I lock them back up at night, and they sing for me to come free them every morning.

Good luck.

It was such a long wait for my duck eggs compared to the chickens. I, like you, also wanted the ducks (and eggs) more than I wanted the chickens / chicken eggs (baking is a passion, and duck eggs make baked goods to die for), and the gals have been laying 4 eggs a day - not bad for 3 ducks!

4. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    My ducks began laying their eggs in the morning, before I let the birds out of the coop. This worked out great for me, until they decided they were going to stay on the pond all night. I'm not thrilled with that arrangement, but the pond is big enough that I can't catch the little boogers. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to start penning them when they come in to eat in the afternoons if I want to collect the eggs. Could you pen them overnight and then let them range during the daytime?

5. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thanks, I think I will start using the pen and run for them in the evenings. I am just going to have to relocate one of the Great Pyreneese to that side of the property. I'm afraid the coons will get my ducks if they don't have the pond to escape to at night.

Yep going to pen them at night. I want those duck eggs for baking too. I use goose eggs as well but the season for goose eggs is nearing the end for this year. Going to get the doors and gates ready this weekend. Now to figure out a way to keep one of my Pyr's around the ducks without having a fit. I tried to put Sequoia (my Pyreneese) there a few months ago. She took a fit and tore down the fence. Those dogs are so strong they amaze me sometimes.

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Oh geez that's a bummer! I wonder if my ducks will get smart to being penned at night and stay on the pond? I wish they were like chickens and went to roost at night. That would make our lives easier, now I've got to add one more chore to the mornings before work. OH well the eggs will be worth it! I have 5 duck eggs in the bator right now (shipped) so I hope I get some more girls. It seems my chicken eggs sell themselves and I have people starting to ask me for duck eggs.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    In my experience they outgrow it, I had hens doing that last year when laying was a newer thing to them.. they do not do that anymore.. they lay in the barn.

8. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    That is music to my ears, though I just had a girl ask to buy duck eggs from me so I'll be rounding them up with peas tonight and closing the gate. Not only do I want duck eggs but I'd like to sell my extras and make feed money. Now I just need the hens to co operate [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Do fake eggs help at all? I always put fake eggs (wooden) in the nest boxes for my chickens, and have found that when I do not, I end up with eggs on the floor of the coop or out in the run. I was hoping it would work for ducks, too, when they are ready to lay.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

No idea! Hopefully someone can chime in on their experience... i just held out that my ducks would get a clue lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by