Ducks laying ALL year round?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, I have a buff that seems to think it is ok to lay eggs and sit on her nest all year round. I barely see her! Since July she has laid at least 5 clutches that I am aware of, 17+ eggs in each clutch!

Who does sher think she is? Staying inside that big kennel all the time depriving us of her beauty??!!

Does any one else have this problem?Ducks laying all year round I mean?

Is it normal? I thought she was supposed to stop for the winter! If this is how its going to be then ill have too many ducks come this time next year! That means ill have to sell some ducklings come spring.

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well my Blue Swedish and Blue Swed X Rouen ducks lay all year long.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I wish my mallards would lay year round. They seem to be on strike more than they lay.

4. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I have a pekin that out lays my chickens in the winter, it is not unusual for her to lay twice a day, unfortunately for me she wont set so she just lays and lay she does.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Khaki Campbells lay all year round as well.

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My Rouens and Mallards are still laying daily. There are eggs all over the duck yard and in nests in duck house and in hidden nests. The other day I happened to see dozens of them under a hutch. They had to dig a tunnel to get under there and lay. Now I'm thinking that some of the drakes, green head, drake feathers, definitely males - must surely be laying eggs cause I'm getting dozens of eggs, almost daily, from four females. Either the males are also laying eggs or I've got females laying more than one a day or maybe some of the females that disappeared early on and assumed caught by predators are really flying back into yard at night and laying eggs and flying off again. But yes, snow on ground, ice everywhere and new eggs daily.

I even posted a thread - if anyone wants to buy Rouen/Mallard eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by