Ducks laying eggs in November???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckcharmer, Nov 30, 2012.

1. duckcharmer

duckcharmer New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    I have 3 mallard rescue ducks 2 females and a drake. One of the females started laying eggs in fact 24 of them. She layed a clutch in October and that yielded 8 but I was told that was a practice clutch since it was the first lay. So then a week ago she made this beautiful nest and layed 24 she has been sitting on them 24/7. She did not do this with her practice clutch. Is it possible these new eggs could be fertile? And I haven't seen her get off the nest to swim,eat, or drink should I be concerned? I did put food and water near her nest.

2. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    It is very likely they are fertile since you have a drake.Sounds like you have a broody duck.Make sure to fix something over her to keep preditors away from her.Or move her and her nest of eggs to a safer place.Broodys only get off the nest maybe 1 x a day to eat, drink, go to the bathroom and to maybe take a quick swim to bath then back to her eggs. She should be fine. :)
    Im no expert but have learned alot from byc

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  3. RaspyRoosterFarms

RaspyRoosterFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Indiana
    As long as you have food and water near she'll be fine. My ducks first clutch had 10 eggs with 4 hatching, second clutch had 48 with none hatching, thinks she got a little carried away, her clutches are smaller now, but I like to eat the eggs so she hasn't sat on any recently, With her last cluctch she never moved more than 5 feet of her nest, which she put in the basement window sill, I'd say keep the food and water close, but swimming isn't a necessity, just makes a mess of the nesting area, I never see my ducks breed but since she had babies I'm sure they do, Our ducks are most active at night so probably while I'm asleep, Good luck, and keep track after they hatch, ducks are questionable mothers, they don't always make the best decisions for their ducklings.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. duckcharmer

duckcharmer New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you yes we have a duck condo so she is very well protected. I put a water and food dish near her nest. She is very protective of her nest she chases the other ducks away from it. I did check her eggs today and yes some of them are fertile some are duds. We decided not to remove the duds for fear that would upset her. Thank you for your advice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by