Ducks laying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FrogDoc, Jun 25, 2011.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Yesterday we couldn't find one of our two ducks. Today DH found her under the coop hunkered down on a nest of a dozen eggs. Wow! And yay!! These are our first eggs from any of our fowl! [​IMG]

So, I have a few questions.

I was under the impression that ducks would lay only an egg or so a day. True? It's been cool and rainy here, so is it possible she's been laying all week? If so, are these eggs still good to eat? I broke open two and they look fine.

We are also not interested in crawling under the coop to retrieve duck eggs, so we're going to patch it up and want to provide something for her to lay her eggs in. She can go IN the coop, but prefers not to hang with the chickens and would rather be outdoors with her sister duck. Can we just put a small dog house or something similar out there for her in the yard?

TIA for your thoughts!!

2. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Anyone?

3. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be a little risky, as you can keep eggs about a month on the countertop, as long as you know the ducks have not started setting on the eggs (keeping them warm). Did you notice if your ducks disappeared for long periods? If so they may have started to go broody, and the eggs will start to develop (dont eat). Or, if they are just laying without setting (still collecting a clutch), then they are probably ok to eat. Just make sure you cook them well, and you should be ok.

Our ducks lay eggs on the ground in a corner, with a little privacy. Just some straw, is needed. We put a plastic egg to give them the idea of where to lay.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    One of my ducks has been laying under a shrub. I won't eat those eggs as they've been sitting there for the week. I keep only the eggs laid in their house or ones I see laid in front of me. Otherwise they are tossed or the dogs eat them.
    Ducks usually seem to lay their eggs in the early morning hours. My 2 seem to be able to wait until after I let them out to find their own spot to lay that isn't in their duck house.

5. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Thank you both! We don't have a male, but she was sitting on them. We used one yesterday morning (after checking to see if it sank in a bowl of water) and we're all okay today. [​IMG]

Love the idea of straw (esp if they don't prefer an actual house) and a fake egg. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by