1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks laying fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TpKe, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TpKe

TpKe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Wales
    Hi guys, i'm fairly new to poultry keeping only ever kept about six turkeys before. They were organic norfolk blacks. Wow they are noisy, i really didn't like the turkeys as they have a high mortality rate, eat lots, and the males were NOT friendly and they really didn't like the rain.So no more turkeys not for a while anyway.

We have recently (about a month ago) bought some ducks, a Aylesbury drake, one Aylesbury duck, one pure khaki campbell duck and a khaki cross aylesbury duck. We have planned to hatch their eggs and eat them when they are 10 weeks on a organic free range system. They have access to a stream and a baby bath turned pond. When do you think they will settle down and lay FERTILE eggs. The Aylesbury's were with another three aylesbury's so we were going to buy the lot but three got hit by a car :( but neither the Khaki or the khaki x have ever been together. Also do you think the khaki campbell when crossed with a Aylesbury will create a suitable carcass worth butchering?
    So when will they lay fertile eggs, and will a Khaki cross aylesbury provide a suitable carcass, worth butchering.
    Any help welcome as new to poultry keeping.[​IMG]

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    The aylesbury is a good meat bird, khakis not so much. The cross should be decent, but not quite what you'd get with uncrossed Aylesburies (?)

Your birds should be laying by 20 weeks. Some lay earlier 14 or 16. Once they're laying regularly crack one open and look for the blastosperm.

1 person likes this.
  3. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    They should start laying between 4 and 8 months. Some ducks go broody right away, but for most they wait for their first spring. Aylesbury and Khaki Campbells aren't very broody. If you want a good duck that is tasty, beautiful, lays a decent amount of eggs as well as excellent meat, try a Rouen. Rouens are very instinctual and are always alert for predators and often brood their own ducklings. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, if they make a nest, give them a few days to build up their egg stock- anywhere from 4-14 eggs. They need to have a certain amount before they'll start incubating.

1 person likes this.
  5. TpKe

TpKe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Wales
    Thanks for the replies guys, they haven't made a nest or haven't started to. they are mature although i don't think the khaki cross has started to lay yet as we get one large white egg a day and every two days or so we also get a slightly speckled egg which we think is the khaki. The khaki cross has a lot of runner in her so i would imagine they would be slightly tinted. they are entirely free range in a REALLY big field so i wonder if they might make a nest by a stream that runs through the land.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  6. TpKe

TpKe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Wales
    i have thought of Rouen's or Muscovie's but don't Rouen's take 6 months to mature. Muscovies also sounded good but they are quite pricey in the area and there aren't many for sale. maybe i will i will buy some fertile eggs.

7. TpKe

TpKe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Wales
    Every day we get at least one large white egg, and every other day (roughly) we get a smaller speckled egg. i thought the Aylesbury duck would lay the big white eggs and the khaki would lay the speckled egg but there are more large white eggs than the other eggs. don't khakis lay more than Aylesbury's.So confused![​IMG]

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Khakis are the best laying duck breed alongside Welsh Harlequins.

They would have to be outside at night as well. Ducks usually lay early in the AM, so they'd need to be outside 24/7. The nest might not survive outside, either, if the land is as large as I imagine.

Muscovies have longer claws, and their scratches hurt. The males aren't as friendly and Muscovies need perches, they can also fly. IMO they aren't very pretty either. :/
    Rouens don't always take 6 months to mature. Rouens are like any other duck. Mine could be eaten at 9 weeks, a couple will be eaten at 12-16 weeks. "Mature" is a relative term. "Mature" means full grown, fully and completely grown. Most ducks are not "mature" when you eat them. Many people eat ducks as soon as they are in full feather (no pin feathers) and big enough. Rouens are a bigger breed, so they would be big enough to feed 2-3 people/duck at 12-16 weeks. You do not have to wait for a duck to "mature" to eat it, most "mature" ducks are the ones that are pets, breeding, or laying stock. Very few meat ducks are ever "mature". If you want fully grown, max sized mature Rouens for eating, it could take 6-10 months, but then that would apply to your other ducks too. They won't be max size until 3-6 months.Mature is a very relative term, just sayin'.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    And also, Muscovies must be seperated from other breeds if you want fertile babies. Muscovies crossed with Mallard derived breeds produce mule ducks, which are like mules- they are not fertile and can never successfully hatch babies. Muscovy meat is also more like red meat, so if you desire traditional duck meat, stick to Mallard-derivees. :)

10. TpKe

TpKe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Wales
    Thank you sooo much. the field is huge by our standards as a 600 acre organic welsh sheep hill farm. its maybe 15 acres. though i've heard in the US and Canada you have much more land usually.we are a small farm compared to those around us though. we let them out between 6-7 usually and occasionally 8-ish, so probably no chance of them nesting out side.
    cheers for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by