Ducks Laying Habits

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
in another post I explained how two of the girls were taking turns sitting on eggs. I remove them daily. Now in the last couple days I have only gotten 1 versus 3 eggs and today it was in the pen in a corner versus the nest. It's almost like they are mad I'm taking the eggs, is that possible? I'm not really worried about how many I get but I want to make sure it's not a health issue. Everything else is fine. Am I Crazy or do I have some rebels? Are they thinking I'm an egg thief and can they stop laying due to that as silly as it sounds?

I get four or five eggs a day from my six female ducks. One hasn’t laid since she was injured a few months ago and the others occasionally take a break. I also have two that want to sit on the nest. I pick up the eggs daily and they move the nest around and not everyone lays in it every time. Sometimes one or two lay elsewhere in the pen or house. I wouldn’t worry about a health issue unless you see other changes in behavior, poop, eating habits, or other signs of injury or illness that give you concern.

This is a great place to ask all of those kinds of questions because people here can either put your mind at ease or give you advice about what to do.

Don't worry too much. Ducks have insane laying habits. Sometimes I'll let them out in the morning and they're halfway down the ramp and plop an egg out on the spot!

As long as they look and act healthy, it's normal for them.

I have one duck that could care less about her eggs she usually leaves it in one of their many water tubs or pools. My other duck carefully makes a nest and covers her egg. And when she sees me near it, she moves to a new location the next day to make a new nest. I believe she doesn't like her nest robbed by duck mom. And I also think her mean sister sneaks in and breaks her egg when she leaves her nest. Broken egg mystery?

Back
Top Bottom