Ducks laying in the back of the run?! Why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Mar 9, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    2 of my 3 welsh harlequin hens began laying this week. (one monday, 1 today) and they keep laying ALL the way in the back of the run, in the poop! Is there anyway to keep them from laying there? I hate walking through all the mud/poop to get the the eggs!

Thanks in advance!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I built a little shelter for my muscovy hen and added some straw. I put a fake egg in there (one of those plastic easter eggs you put candy in) she laid all but 1 of her eggs in there.

You don't need a shelter but try building a nest, make a hole in the ground 1-2 " deep and fill with straw. I swirled mine like the chickens have theirs.

Put an egg in there and hope for the best. I would leave an egg in there at all times, fake or real.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, thanks! Good idea. My rouen hen likes to lay hers right near the fence, so all I need to do is reach my hand through the fence..... I guess im spoiled lol.... But shes going broody :oops:

Hows your scovy mama doing? My rouen decided she wants to be a mama :rolleyes: to bad I have no fertile eggs being laid.... 6 drakes, but no hatchible eggs :barnie any tips on having a broody duck?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    My runners used to lay their eggs wherever. They stopped once the khakis were introduced as the khakis would make a nest in the corner of the house and lay their eggs there. After a couple weeks the runners followed suit.

Maybe you could try making a straw nest and leaving some "marker" eggs in there?

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

You could also try letting them out later so they lay in their house and not in the run.

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    They are not locked up at night. They get the house, and run 24/7, then I open the gate to the yard in the morning for free ranging (after I collect eggs)

Hopfully they decide to start laying in the duck houses...

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Then your best bet would be getting a couple of fake eggs and placing them where you want them to lay. If you can't afford fake eggs, egg shaped rocks work also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by