Ducks Laying Soft Eggs in the Evening..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LovyDucks, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LovyDucks

LovyDucks New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    My two Khaki Campbell hens, Daisy and Minnie, have been laying soft eggs in the evening. This has only happened three times in the past week and they only started laying about three weeks ago. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Their diet consists of duck crumbles, lettuce, fish and lots of worms (we go worm hunting at night.) They forage and have mud to eat. I just started to supplement with oyster shell, but when they lay in the mornings the eggs are normal. We also have a drake, Jack. Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I found that if the ducks are playing "hop on top," that sometimes an unfinished egg gets pushed out.

It did not seem to harm my runners, though, and it happened regularly their first year.

Then after they had been laying just about nonstop for over a year, we began to see eggs without shells more frequently from the heavy layers. Happily, they took a few months off and I hope that they will be able to produce shells again.

They needed the rest. I was giving them oyster shell, layer rations, calcium gluconate, anything I could think of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by