ducks learning to swim

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Master1, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    I have ducklings. I know that you are supposed to make ducklings wait at least 4 weeks before letting them swim so that they have their waterproof coat. I was wondering if there was a specific tempurature i should have or if any will do. I would also like to know how deep the water needs to be. Can anyone help me?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are your ducklings? they can be in water right off you just never leave them alone and after they come out you make sure they are put right back under the heat lamp to dry, so they don't chill. water temp should be around 85-88* just start with enough water to top of their legs then as they get use to it add a little more till they are floating next thing you know they will be diving under water and having a blast[have your camera ready] do this gradual deepening of the water over a couple days .Ducklings without a mama don't have water proofing right off but by putting them into water it gets them started preening and gets the oil gland working so when they get older they will be able to get that oil all over their feathers. and then they will be water proof. .

3. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    i lied i wont get them until the day after Easter. thanks for the info. i just want to make sure im doing this right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by