Ducks legs are going paralyzed

NHRedChickener

Hatching
8 Years
May 28, 2011
I have 7 Khaki Campbells they are about 8 weeks old 1 of them is completely paralyzed in both legs, he's down in the basement segregated from the rest, I've been hand bathing him and feeding him for a couple days now with no improvement, he hasn't gotten worse but hasn't gotten better. I have a second bird outside in the run that is starting to go in one leg, limping around the leg seems stiff.

I have no idea what's wrong with them from what I was reading it might be botulism but how do I fix it? I tried to clean up the run and get rid of any mud and muck, give them clean water frequently. Any ideas on what it might be or how to fix it? This is our first adventure into ducks and it doesn't seem to be going very well :-(.

I've had Khaki Campbell for years and have been through all kinds of problems with them myself. I'm not sure if you've read this but it may help.

They could also have been infected with meningeal worm.

Also, did you give them any injection prior to the paralysis showing up? While doing so, if you accidently hit the sciatic nerve I believe the chances of their legs going limp are 50-50. I found that out from my vet.

Since I can't post any URLs on this forum: Visit the website of The Association of Avian Veterinarian, it is an excellent site for resources and if you call the local member vet from AAV they'll be able to tell you exactly whats wrong with

the duck. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom