Ducks living with a bantam?! Help please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crazy4Fowl, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I have purchased 2 female ducks. The breed is golden 300 hybrid ducks (if that matters). The ducks will be living with my alone mille flour bantam. I have 8 other chickens that aren't bantams (barred rock, rhode island red, easter egger, and austrolop) and I tried adding the little bantam to the flock. I got her from some relatives. But the other chickens keep hurting and pecking her. So we had to take her out. She is living in a clear box with wood shavings on the bottom and food and water. And she can't live in the small box for ever. All the big chickens are hens. So we are getting 2 ducks and building a separate coop for the 2 ducks and my bantam. I am wondering will the ducks also peck her? They will come as babies and grow up with her in a big box, until they are old enough to go out side. I am debating on getting a drake also. Will the drake be aggressive to the bantam? Will the hens be aggressive to the bantam? Thanks Crazy4Fowl.... Thats her
    [​IMG]

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    are hey ducks or ducklings that you are getting.

3. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I said "They will come as babies and live with her in a big box" so yes they will grow up with her around. They will be ducklings

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    dont worry about how the ducks might hurt her, its the other way around. dont put them in with her when they are still babies, it wouldn't be healthy, she would peck at them since she doesnt have babies they wont be ablt to fit in, she could possibly kill the ducklings if she turns hostile.

Another thing chickens can give illnesses to ducklings, and being ducklings its mostly fatal when they get sick.

5. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Ok but when they ducks grow up will the be able to live with her and not hurt her

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    probably not they shouldnt really hurt one another, maybe a few pecks but no full on fighting/ no blood

7. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Ok thanks! Does a drake have a higher chance of hurting her (if i get one)

8. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    no it woul most likely be a duck, but drakes do calm ducks overall so its always a good idea to have a drake handy

9. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    So your saying a hen is more likely to hurt her than a drake? The drake will make the hens calm?

10. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    drakes have a tendency to calm ducks in the long run. against a female bird the duck will probably be the aggressor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by