Ducks living with mini pig (piglet)

Wokawidget

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Hi,

I have 2 ducks. A Campbell and a Runner. Both are house ducks on an evening and are very friendly.
We have just bought a small mini piglet. At the moment the piglet is just a bit smaller than the ducks....but weighs about 10 times more.
I have been introducing my ducks to the piglet all day and I've got to a stage whether neither are freaked out and they eat side by side.

I put the Campbell in the small straw run in the house with the piglet and they were stood next to her when the piglet started snuffling near the ducks foot and seemed to be trying to sample it.
While it's not a nasty piglet it has given me a nip when I got my finger in it's mouth my accident while feeding from the hand.

I am concerned that even a testing nibble could seriously hurt my ducks.

Has anyone run into this before?

cheers,

Woka

We have pot belly pigs and my ducks free range with them in the day with no problems. The pigs will grumble at times when the ducks annoy them but they dont try to bite them or hurt them.

Ok. cool.
I feel a little more at ease now.
The piglet is soooooooo easy to train and is learning new commands and tricks every hour...I am amazed at how intelligent and a quick learner a 7 week old piglet is.

Cheers,

Woka

Woka, good luck with them. Pigs are highly intelligent. They rank highly on the intelligence scale not far behind primates and dolphins.

Quote:
Yes, they are higly intelligent enough to eventually eat the ducks, in case they (pigs) get very hungry.

And pigs get hungry fast if not fed on time.

LOL

:eek:)

My pig is trained...she's no different from a dog...except she's pig like and learns commands and tricks very quickly.
She gets on with my critters. They are happy to scrat around her. Now and again the pig tries to snout one of the chickens or ducks to say hello and they don't take to kindly to that...they just squawk and leg it.
In fact my RIR chicken does now and again give the pig a sharp peck on the snout, which Gwen REALLY doesn't like. So the RIR doesn't get snouted much.

Gwen does get a little over excited now and again and tears around the garden barking like a dog while trying to chase the nearest critter. The critters really don't like that at all...they don't realize she's playing.

She's 6 months old now and is about 10-12 inches big and weighs a whopping 27kg...but she's not much bigger than a large terrier.

I am very aware that if she steps on a critter while chasing them it could do some damage so I can run out and stop it.
She's getting more docile and trained month by month.

I think the ducks like Gwen as my Campbell this morning wouldn't stop quacking at the back door until I let piggie out to say hello. Quite funny really...but I hope my Neighbours weren't asleep.

Woka

this thread is just torture without pics!
rant.gif
caf.gif

I eventually want hogs for meat, but will not purposefully keep any other animals with them. I hear horror stories all the time about hogs eating poultry, and even famers or their children. I've talked to several credible people who have had livestock losses to their hogs, when a chicken would hop into the pen or a baby goat/lamb squeeze through the fence. It doesn't seem to matter how well a pig is kept - confined, dry lot, pastured... It happens, no matter the temperament of the pig in question it seems. I wouldn't risk it. Not even with a pet pig.

Back
Top Bottom