Ducks losing weight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Louise's Country Closet, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    So I've noticed since they're usually pretty snowed in that my ducks are starting to lose a little bit of weight. They always have access to water and food so they can eat and drink to their hearts content but they're still losing some weight. What can I give them (as an extra to their food) to fatten 'em up a little?

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    corn fills that slot nicely.

3. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    That's PERFECT, since we always have corn here! Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might add just a little bit of dry cat kibble, too, since it has more nutrients, protein and so forth. I also add some millet and rolled oats to my ducks' feed. Some thawed fresh-frozen peas (limited quantities) are fun.

Is there any possibility of worms?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Corn mine love corn! [​IMG]

6. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    There *could* be worms but I doubt it. They started losing a little weight way after the snow came and everything is so froze I dunno how they would have picked it up. They're not sickly and they don't eat or drink any more than they ever did before. I figured it was just the winter taking a toll on them because they're not getting all the fresh greens and bugs that they were before.

Going to try the corn and cat food in the morning! [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Meal worms, feeder fish & crickets. They should be available at a feed store if the budget allows for some at this time of year. Its most likely the insects missing from the foraging time they have in the warmer months that is contributing to them losing condition as you say. That and the fact they are using more energy to keep warm. Corn and cat food will also help when you start that tomorrow, I also give mine lucerne hay in the night pens as its a good bedding that also gives them something to eat rather than straw alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by