Ducks, mae to female ratio?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xcrazyduckladyx, Jun 10, 2016.

1. xcrazyduckladyx

xcrazyduckladyx New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I have four ducks i got early this year three mallards, and one crested. One of the malards is female, the other two male, and i'm not sure what the crested ducks gender is. They're a light brown, but i can't tell from their coloring what the gender is. I'm wondering if i need more female ducks to keep my duck from getting hurt when mating season occurs?

2. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    Shoild be about 1 male to at least 4-7. Not sure on exact but you definitely don't want a one to one ratio. I currently have two males for 7 soon to be 9 females and its still too many Drakes

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    One to one only ever works if you only have two ducks (in my opinion.)

The rule of thumb is 1:3 or 1:4. In my experience it works. I've gone 1:2 but not through a breeding season.

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We have a 1:1 ratio in our flock of pairs for sale and they are doing fine, we even have some hens nesting which I did not expect with so many drakes, but our breeding flock has a 1:3 ratio.

We raise Australian Spotted ducks and the drakes are not overly aggressive like other breeds. In fact, it tends to work better to have more than one drake with two or more hens to make sure the drakes get the job done. If you have a single pair and the hen does not like the drake, you will not get fertile eggs but with two drakes the hen will at least favor one of them. Two drakes can also team tag a hen while a single drake will give up the chase.

Our hens are the ones that choose the drakes and approach them with their head bobbing and tail flagging behaviors to entise the drake. Our drakes hang out together just fine while the hens are sitting and one drake will actually sit on the eggs while the hen is off the nest to keep the crows from raiding the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by