Ducks making the coop a wet mess..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by adegiulio, Dec 10, 2010.

1. adegiulio

adegiulio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Good morning, I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks living together in my coop. At night, I put their waterer in the coop on a cinderblock to keep it off the bedding. Of course, by morning, the ducks have squirted water all over the place, making the bedding all moist. Anyone have any hints or products on how to reduce the amount of water the ducks spray all over the place? I'm currently using regular two walled galvanized waterers. Thanks !

Anthony

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Been there done that and got rid of the ducks. They're just by the nature of the way they eat and "play" in the water, messy. Aside from housing them elsewhere I can't offer any solution--nature is nature.

3. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I love ducks, fun watching them but they are ducks and messy and no stoping them no matter what. But I do suggest that if you have a closed run (protect from predators) then leave the water and food outside. Chickens don't eat at night, they say, my chicks do that's because I put out a light in the middle of their run so I could see them at nights if they are ok from the inside of the house. Now duck LOVES water, just put it in the run area and your coop will be dry and warm

1 person likes this.
  4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Leave the water and feed outside the coop or put it in the garage at night. You will see an instant improvement.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I discovered a great way to deal with this as I have 3 huge ducks living with my chickens in a huge 20x 20 coop

I took a baby pool put their electric base pan heater in it with the waterer on top-but put the water just far enough in pool so ducks can drink and get what they need but not stand over it and drip and throw water everywhere...I also keep a bowl right nest to it with water ( in the pool) so they can clear out their nostrils:) so far its been 2 weeks and my bedding has remained 90% dry--love it

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have a big enough barn that I have dedicated one corner to water and then have water outside in the run for them as well. I carry out hot water for both spots as I am trying to go through the winter with no additional heat.

I have to say pre-ducks I was enjoying leaving a water out and actually having it in the chicken coop but with the addition of the ducks I have figured out either I take the water and work with them or I have to move the ducks. Course now that it is frozen it wouldn't really matter as I would still be dragging water out there it is just the icy mess and I may have to drag out a heater soon to defrost a few things (like the buckets that now are stuck into place).

7. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:Love to see some pic's to give me some ideas too :)

8. adegiulio

adegiulio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    So, its ok for them to go without water overnight? I put them away at sundown (5pm now) and let them out in the morning, around 7. If that's the case, then leaving the water out is a no-brainer. They'll be more comfortable too...

9. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i leave food and water outside for my 9 runners they make mess mine are out 8am-6pm . they get use to no water at night they know they better eat good and drink before bedtime. i think it helps put them on schudule for free ranging and going to bed at night by themselves. i just shut door and dump water . i use a regular one gallon bucket in side a 3 gallon feed pan to catch spills. but still keep outside only as their duck house is only 4x4.

10. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Take a look at my website under coops, there is a picture of my solution. It is a cement mixing tub with a wire top and an off set shower drain in the bottom connected to a 2" pipe that runs under the coop. Any of the water that the ducks splash out of the waterer goes into the tub and out under the coop.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by