Ducks Male to female ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maccay2k, Oct 31, 2013.

1. maccay2k

maccay2k Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    My 4 Khaki Campbell’s are now around 2 months old and I can see quite clearly that there are 3 boys and 1 girl - I have read this could be an issue - I would look at getting some more females to even it out at the moment the house I have for them really only accommodates 4 ducks, and as they have been hatched and all together from the egg and rely on each other I would like to avoid separating them or culling any of the males or would separating the female be in effect for her own safety? Or will they all just get along?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As/when the drakes become sexually mature there is great potential for harm if not death for the hen. Most drakes are extremely sexually aggressive, and it is not uncommon for physical damage or drowning when multiple drakes gang breed a hen. Given the limited housing situation, the easiest solution would be to find a GOOD home for two of the drakes.

1 person likes this.
  3. maccay2k

Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks, I was worried about that. At what age do they start mating? None of them have their Drake feather yet.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Mine have started showing mating activities as early as 4 months.

1 person likes this.
  5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, 4-6mths in that range. Some can almost seem on overdrive too.

1 person likes this.
  6. maccay2k

Aug 29, 2013
    How the heck do you choose who to go??? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are any of the drakes friendlier to you? Has the duck bonded more with one of them?

8. maccay2k

Aug 29, 2013
    To be honest the female (centre back) is the unfriendliest and when young bonded most with the front centre male. But the generally just look out for each other, Top Left duck is like the baby who cries if seperated and top right is quite chilled out (originally hoped it was another female) but now doesn't appear that way, theres only one that quacks which is top centre

9. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    maccay2k, have the ducks started quacking yet? I was wondering how you distinguish the drakes from the hen. It looks like your drakes have blue bills(?) and the hen has a green bill(?). I've only ever had Mallards, but doesn't green bill mean drake with Kahki's, too?

Definitely get rid of some drakes. When I got ducks, I ended up with 3 drakes and 3 hens and they didn't calm down until there was only 1 drake. If it makes you feel better, I ended up keeping my least favorite drake and, once the other drakes were gone, he was a doll and took good, good care of the girls. Wouldn't have had any other way :)

10. duckcrazy

duckcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I have one very sweet male and 8 females. It is funny to watch my male on many occasions running away from 4 of the females who constantly chase him down to mate. He's no sissy but gosh girls, give the guy a break! He originally started out as being faithful to only one female, but she went broody and didn't want anything to do with him. He discovered my 3 younger ducks who were coming of age and moved into their pen. After my broody hen's parental duties were lessoned, she became very possessive of him again and would chase the other females off. Since he has moved back to her pen she has calmed down and doesn't seem to mind sharing him with the other hens. I'll tell you, my barnyard is a real Peyton place! Ducks are a scream.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by