Ducks male vs. female out of whack?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Apr 24, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well here's a huge kicker! We had some wild ducks in the pond... I thought they belonged to my neighbor, and were Rouen, who informed me that her ducks were killed after these came and moved in! They are most likely Mallards then!

Other then being obnoxious and greedy little eaters... they have bonded with my 2 pekin male ducks (One I may have to put down after a turtle attack as its foot has taken a turn for the worse). Originally, there were 3 male mallards and 5 females in the pond. I bought a female pekin duck who is currently housed in our backyard and not old enough to roam the pond.

In the last few days I noticed a change of the sexes! There are now 5 male mallards, my 2 male pekins and 1 yes ONE female with them all!!!!

So is there a chance the females will return? I really don't like this ratio before I let me female out to mingle. Does this mean I should probably get another 2 females to add to the bunch? I'm kinda DONE with ducks. They are cute, and I like them outside... but not ready to have anymore in the brooder in the house for a long long long long while.

Please tell me you think the females will probably return or the extra males that showed up will leave?!

I'm suprised the Blue Heron comes back every morning with so many ducks taking over his pond. [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    The females could be sitting on nests somewhere. We have hand-raised Rouens and Mallards and one little Mallard pair recently discovered our pond and has been living there. Many times we see only the male swimming around the pond while the female is on her nest, but if we go down there around sunset you'll see her swimming with him.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'll have to check again, but I'm pretty sure she's gone unless she's nesting under the dock across the pond and I can't see them. There should be a couple more females.... its where the extra males came from I'd like to know?! Can't they see its a bit cramped with testosterone?! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by