1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks maliciously attacking chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ClapperCounty, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ClapperCounty

ClapperCounty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    Our three 9 month old drakes, 2 pekins and 1 mallard, used to concentrate all their mounting efforts on one hen. We gave that hen to a neighbor to keep her from being constantly harassed. Now they've turned on our other 8 hens. They don't care which one it is and they ALL try to mount their target at the same time. It's gotten to the point where they don't do anything else all day but stalk the chickens and occasionally will turn on each other. They've become absolutely ridiculous. They're going to end up killing a chicken. We have them seperated in a pen but the chicken coop is in the fenced in area where the ducks are and the chickens can easily jump over the low fence to go lay but the ducks are there just waiting! Is there any way at all to break them from acting like this?? I've already put an ad on craigslist.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    No way to break them.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just keep the chickens away from those drakes. I feel they have developed a pattern of behavior that no one I know of has explained how we can change.

They are best rehomed where there are either a big bunch of females, or to someone happy to have a drake flock.

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    you could keep them and find females for them or find someone with the females for they i bet they was all raised together that is why they a go for one chicken

5. ClapperCounty

ClapperCounty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Yorktown, VA
    We rehomed them. A friend that lives on a huge pond took them. We've been by to check on them a few times and they seem very content. There is a large mallard population that is already there. They come to her yard every evening for some feed like clockwork. My yard is no longer a battleground and it's so much more peaceful and less stressful for us all.

6. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    that is good to know that they are happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by