Ducks meeting????

blayt90

Crowing
Jan 11, 2018
Magee, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
I have four khaki Campbell ducklings that are about 3 1/2 weeks old. As a test run I released one of my ducklings into the larger pen with my adult ducks. My males both tried to bite the duckling on the neck. I removed the duckling very quick. Would the males have killed the duckling and why?they have been in the pen with my adults but separated for a few days now.

CarleeAnn

Crowing
Apr 29, 2017
Louisiana
The males were probably trying to mate the duckling and because they are so small, it would have been fatal. Keep the ducklings in a “howdy box” where they can become accustomed to each other without physical contact- like a wire dog crate, or just fence separating them. They probably shouldn’t be integrated until older though, I’m sure someone will be along soon with a better suggestion to appropriate meeting age.

blayt90

Crowing
Jan 11, 2018
Magee, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
00E1E32C-364A-4E81-93BE-F5229F7FD8F4.jpeg
The males were probably trying to mate the duckling and because they are so small, it would have been fatal. Keep the ducklings in a “howdy box” where they can become accustomed to each other without physical contact- like a wire dog crate, or just fence separating them. They probably shouldn’t be integrated until older though, I’m sure someone will be along soon with a better suggestion to appropriate meeting age.
They are in the same large pen but separated by a temporary fence.

Top Bottom