Ducks molting and have started courtship dance

jendarwin

Songster
Dec 24, 2016
I have two ducks.. male and female about 12 weeks now.. they have developed signs of mating and huge balls of feathers are found everywhere.. I wan to know how many days do they molt.. and any advices to take care of them and when can I find an egg around the place.. any suggestions, tips and more information about this phase required please

I have no plans of breeding ducks as of now.. but a little cautious if by chance I miss seeing them.. I see them getting angry often.. is that normal?

Usually I hold them and play with them.. they get angry when I stop pampering them

How does their behavior change when you say they are angry? What makes you think they are angry?

What kind of ducks do you have? How do you know what sex they are? Two boys might be displaying mating activity with each other but won't give you any eggs. ;-) Depending on the breed, females usually start laying after they are 4 months old.

I'd recommend reading Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks for lots of helpful info. It is a wonderful resource.

To my knowledge I think one is a male and the other is a female.. coz the sounds they make are really different.. ones got a hard voice and the other quacks. When I stop pampering the female gets annoyed and pulls my hand back.. it looks too cute however

Back
Top Bottom