Ducks molting in the dead of winter. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Jan 12, 2013.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have searched on here for a thread about winter molting but I must not be looking in the right area. I have three Cayugas that are going through a full blown molt. We are going to be in negative temperatures this week, and I am worried. They are 9 months old, and sleep in a converted dog house with no heet source. During the day they come out of their coop, their choice. It's blasted cold! We have had no unusual warm spells. As a mater if fact, we have had more snow and colder temperatures this year than in the last three. Can ducks go through a molt in the winter with these conditions?

Edited to say: Funny, I just found a old thread that I posted in regarding molting ducks and chickens. Apparently, some of my ducks went through a molt last winter and I don't remember it. How sad is that! It wasn't this cold though. I hope they will be ok.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Have you had light on them? I had a chicken molt right after we started getting lows in the 20s, it was a very quick molt though she lost much of her feathers.

If they have lost alot of their feathers, I would try to provide a little more insulation for them. Even just plastic sheeting or blankets. I have 5 week old ducklings that are outside with mom when its in the 30's. They can withstand a bit I'd just be careful of overnights.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona

Thanks. No, they have no light on them. It's sad because the drake was covered in ice after splashing his drinking water on him. It's so cold. Brrr! I put a tarp around the outside of their coop for a wind break. Hopefully, that will help.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would probably not allow them water at night, just in case. They should be okay. I don't live where there are really harsh winters so maybe someone else will have other ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by