Ducks mugging chickens HELP!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by randytheeggman, Feb 1, 2009.

1. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    I have had 7 chickens (no rooster) for about 2.5 years and 2 ducks for about one year. When I first introduced the ducks, the chickens used to pick on them. NOW, the ducks have turned real bossy. They old down a chicken and peck at its head, guard the door and won't let them out of the coop into the yard and when I get everyone out, the ducks heard the chickens into one corner or back into the coop.
    At first I figured sooner or later the hens would gang up on the ducks, but the little hitlers are making the hens lives miserable......has anyone experienced this....is there a reason or solution??

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ducks can just be really, really aggressive. It's quite possible that you'll need to separate both species from each other.

3. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks......I was afraid of that...but I really enjoy the duck's personalities. I am guessing they are both males since they don't lay, maybe a lady duck to occupy thier attentions. I was thinking a rooster might keep them in line but I don't want any fertilized eggs

4. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have ducks and chickens - believe me they need to be separate. They Both will thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by