Ducks nails

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bish, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    My pekin ducks toenails seem to be growing quite long, on the weekend he must have gotten his side toenail (thumb) caught on some thing and has ripped it out, it bled for a little while, and it must hurt a little as he has a slight limp, but he is slowly on the mend. Are we meant to trim their toenails like we would with dogs? As his can get quite long? If so, how do you know how far you can trim them back?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I have to trim certain duck's nails. Some seem to grow quite a bit faster than others. On most breeds I can see a difference in colors on their toe nails so I have a idea where to stop. I've always used my pair of clippers designed for ferrets.

3. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    Thank you. I might just have to keep an eye on them, I used my nail clippers on a couple of his long ones. I might just have to make sure I take a few mm's off every now and then, i'd hate to cut them too short. Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That sounds like that should work great! What substrate do you have them on? Certain ones seem to be less effective on keeping the nails down.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When Romy pulled her hallux nail out (ouch), I put triple antibiotic ointment on the foot for several days to prevent infection. But I may be a bit overprotective. [​IMG]

6. Bish

Bish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubbo NSW
    That might be a good idea. I still have antibiotics in my draw from when he was attacked by the dog. I will do that. I get a bit overprotective too. But I would rather be safe than sorry. Especially because he is still swimming with it. I didn't want to take his water off him, he loves swimming. [​IMG]

What do you mean by what substrate do I have the clippers on? I just use my human nail clippers. ?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by