1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks!? Need A NOW!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Girl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I might want a duck. And if i get 1 or 2 I will have to eat them. So what is the best meat duck to get? I have never eaten duck. And they hav to grow fast. Thanks for the help!

Chicken Girl

2. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    It all depends. Some people swear that the best duck meat in taste and quality is the Cayuga. Muscovies are a well known meat breed because they put on the most weight out of all of the duck breeds (but the older they get the more likely that males will develop a sort of musky flavor). Pekins are the most commonly raised ducks for meat though, I believe because they flesh out quicker than some other breeds and have a good quality meat. Being married to a Chinese guy though I do end up eating a lot of Pekins, but I would love to try Cayuga and see if I can tell the difference.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have heard Pekin. But be prepared if you get them. They have so much personality I think it would be hard to eat them! Of course, don't name them!

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Muscovy....the top chefs want muscovy ducks and white muscovies in particular.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Muscovy/Pekin mule ducks are supposed to be really tasty and flesh out fast.

6. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks you all! I just talked to my dad and he said no ducks! Thanks for the help!

Chicken Girl

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  8. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok thanks! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by