ducks need a pond or pool to breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ppimf, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    i got 3 different pair or trio i will be getting their eggs from to incubate them for my son to watch. i'm wanting to make a 8' by 4' pens that they can be seperated to make sure purebreed. do they need to have a pool in there as well? i'm thinking i need to seperate them about 3 weeks before i gather their eggs. so they will be locked up for about 4 weeks or so. any help would be great to see how you all do this the pairs are pekin, and runners, and a trio of rouens

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless extremely large and clumsy, ducks can breed on land, but water really facilitates the activity.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And water is healthier for them to have to bathe in and keep cleaner.

4. ppimf

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    so is the size 8' by 4' pen big enough will a little kiddy pool? the pens will have a 4'by 4' box outside of the 8 by 4 pen, to hopfully lay eggs. i'm thinking of enclosing top and bottom with hardcloth wire help me if u think this would be bad

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    8X4 with a pool will get mucky VERY fast unless you have a plan for water drainage. Even a smaller kiddie pool will take up about 1/3 of that space.

It is recommended that ducks have a yard that has 10-25 sq ft per duck and a house that is 6-8 sq ft per duck if they are going to be confined. As long as you have the space to keep everyone happy and healthy and are able to keep it clean and mucked out, it should be okay.

Predator protection is mandatory. What are you doing with the ducklings after your son watches the incubation?

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mudhole would be a good description, you should see my area lol They have 1/3 of an acre fenced but the majority has become mud where the pools are kept, don't get me wrong they adore mud but still ducks need a large area IME especially the larger breeds(all mine are Muscovy)

7. ppimf

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    well i got someone that whats 5 of each of the 3 ducklings. and i need to keep 2 or 3 of each type for my eggs:) whitch we love. i currently have 14 ducks in a fenced area during the day it is 160' by 160' with 2 pools. they do love the water and mud pits. all the ducks are locked in a 8 by 20 coop at night. they will only be locked seperate untill they give me their pure eggs then i let them go together.

8. ppimf

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    this is my first year with hatching babies i just want to make sure i give them enough room for the 4 week locked up , so a pool is a good idea or should i try to do just a water bowl so they can drink and clean out their nostrils all my ducks are trained to drink from nipple drinkers as well so that helps with some of the mess. but the still have their bowls with the feeding room in the coop

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  9. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Can you have one pool outside of their isolation pens, and give each pair/trio some time alone in it?

10. ppimf

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    yeah i never thought of that thanks for bringing that up i think that is what i will do.
    these pens will be right by the one that they use now all together i can let the others out to free room. while i let one pair out :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by