Ducks nest attacked

justjazz

Hatching
May 16, 2022
A duck had laid around 10 eggs outside my front door, it had been sitting full time for around 9 days. Last night the nest was attacked, I see at least 5 egg shells around. The duck seemed to be sitting on what was remaining for a while this morning but has now left. Is it normal behaviour to abandon an attacked nest? Can we save the remaining eggs? we are devastated.

A duck had laid around 10 eggs outside my front door, it had been sitting full time for around 9 days. Last night the nest was attacked, I see at least 5 egg shells around. The duck seemed to be sitting on what was remaining for a while this morning but has now left. Is it normal behaviour to abandon an attacked nest? Can we save the remaining eggs? we are devastated.
Yes, the eggs could be saved. However, this is the time of day when my duck hens get off their nests to go on break. Wait a while to see if mother duck returns. Are you sure of how long the duck has been brooding? Could the eggs have hatched?

@justjazz is this your domestic duck or a wild duck?

Yes, the eggs could be saved. However, this is the time of day when my duck hens get off their nests to go on break. Wait a while to see if mother duck returns. Are you sure of how long the duck has been brooding? Could the eggs have hatched?
Sadly the eggs were not hatched, remnants all around the garden. The duck stood around preening feathers for about half an hour and then flew off. She had been brooding for about 10 days. Hope she will make a new nest and be more successful.

Thanks for all your replies, it's been so sad for us as we got used to her sitting outside our front door for several weeks. Whatever ate the eggs came back for the rest the following night. The circle of life I guess.

Back
Top Bottom