Ducks not eating and won't leave the pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janieps, Jul 6, 2016.

1. janieps

janieps Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    My 10 week old ducks take neurotic to a whole new level. It took them five days to use the new tub we got them. Now they are not eating. This coincides with us putting a tarp over half of the pen to provide shade. They ate cuke & melon that I threw to them but did not touch the greens I put in their water (which they usually gobble up). Could it be the heat? The tarp? This is the third day. They seem fine otherwise.

Also, I want to let them free-range when I am home but they won't leave the pen. I open it every day, leave a trail of snacks, but nothing. One got as far as the threshold one day but then we put the tarp up so now they don't go near the opening! I suppose I just need to be patient. I am new at this. It seems like one step up, two back. I can get one to eat from my hand one day and then they are all skittish the next.

2. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Hi @janieps give 'em time. They'll come around. It's a big scary world for a duck and they typically don't like change. Small gradual changes work much better for everyone involved, including and especially for us owners. :) Enjoy the "kids" they're the worlds best stress reliever!!!

3. janieps

janieps Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks! I just need to chill as much as they do! Thankfully, the hunger strike is off! They ate their morning feed. It's really hot today and I read they like watermelon so I left them a chunk plus a bowl of water with greens, cakes, etc. When I came back a few hours later, they hadn't touched any of it but when I threw them chunks of melon & cuke, they scoffed it right up. They are a trip!

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    X2 ducks are creatures of habit. Anything changes in their world and they freak out. Make sure they have plenty of fresh water deep enough to clean out their nostrils, grit and a good well balanced duck feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by