Ducks not eating much

J.R.

Songster
5 Years
Jul 15, 2017
Ohio
Last week I adopted two 5 month old Rouen drakes from a gentleman looking to reduce his flock. This is my first experience with ducks so I'm a little unsure about some things. The previous owner told me that he fed them Nutrena All Flock once a day so, to avoid changing their food, I went and bought a bag. Their first full day I gave them about 2 cups of feed and they inhaled it, but ever since then the fellas barely touch their food. I do give them peas or romaine lettuce every evening and they eat that just fine. It's been pretty hot lately could that have something to do with it? I'm concerned that they're not getting the nutrition that they need.

Healthy birds will eat when they are hungry, so I wouldn't worry too much if they are acting fine. Check the feed to make sure it's not old or has a bad or off odor. The other things you are feeding may be filling them up too.

Without so much competition at the food bowl they don't need to eat so much...Plus if they are hot they lay around more...I provide feed at all times and mine all eat randomly through out the day...Keep doing as you have been....Congrats on the Ducks!

Thank you both for easing my mind! Being a first time duck owner I'm definitely learning as I go, but being able to ask people with some experience is so helpful. I'll keep an eye on them and watch out for any signs that I need to check their food or change up something with how they're being fed.

Back
Top Bottom