Ducks not eating much

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
well here we are, winter again in NE Ohio. My ducks have been stuck in their house for about 2 weeks now, not really wanting to go out in the snow and ice. Temps have been teens to twenties all January.

They look and seem fine. But they’re really not eating very much lately. Not even peas!

I keep their house very clean every day, fresh water in a giant tub twice a day, lots of clean dry straw, lights on, low wattage flat panel heater in the duck bedroom.

I can understand the girls not laying due to the short days, but I don’t understand the lack of eating?

Has anyone had this issue in winter?

I would guess that if they are not going outside they are not using many calories and do not need much to eat. However, that is just a guess. It seems strange to me that your ducks won't go outside. My ducks refused any shelter no matter how far below 0 it would get. They preferred to sleep in snow drifts.

Maybe they needs a little fun, get some Romaine leave whole and hang it in their run or coop or a head of cabbage. If you have tried giving them warm duck soup you might try a little to see if they like it, some of their feed with warm water and a sprinkle of meal worms over top or chopped kale?

Maybe they needs a little fun, get some Romaine leave whole and hang it in their run or coop or a head of cabbage. If you have tried giving them warm duck soup you might try a little to see if they like it, some of their feed with warm water and a sprinkle of meal worms over top or chopped kale?
Thank you! I like the soup idea...I’ll try that!

Here’s another question. I have not been giving them grit. They usually forage a lot when the ground is not frozen. Should I provide grit?

They have crushed oyster shells, dried mealworms, pelleted food, peas, but no grit.

Nothing wrong with being concerned when you notice something off. Doesn’t hurt to try an entice them by trying different things . Nice warm soup maybe the ticket to a nice meal they would enjoy.:)

Back
Top Bottom