Ducks not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trainyourpup, Nov 28, 2013.

1. trainyourpup

trainyourpup New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Two weeks ago I got two new female runners. They are just at egg producing age and were producing at their last home, not every day but still producing. Now they are not. I also have 2 more female runners born late June, they are also not producing eggs yet. Should I be worried?

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

A new environment and the shorter days could be wholly or partially responsible for your girls not laying eggs. And what are you feeding them? Mine quit altogether 5 days ago - short days and reasonably cold (teens and single digits at night) so they are consuming extra food to stay warm. Mine are housed in an outside coop at night, insulated well enough that their bedding doesn't freeze solid. My girls have always taken some time off between Nov and Jan. I do not provide any artificial light. Though it will help them to produce through the short day period it does shorten their life span and I think it a cruel way to treat them. Also, are they moulting? Sometimes egg production decreases during the moult.

Seems your June birds should be laying by now but the short days and cooler weather may be affecting them as well. As long as they are healthy be comfortable that they should start laying when days lengthen and temps begin to warm.

Best of luck!

3. trainyourpup

trainyourpup New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    They are on layer food. They have an outdoor coop with straw bedding. It is warm enough not to have the straw freeze. The past couple weeks it has been in the teens at night though.

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    I would just be patient. How are the new ducks and the June hatchlings getting along with each other?

5. trainyourpup

trainyourpup New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    The two sets of females still have "words" but nothing major. The drake is doing great with the June girls. All sleep together and groom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by