Ducks not laying??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksnDaffodils, Feb 25, 2014.

1. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    So I have a question. Last spring I ordered some Welsh Harlequins from Cackle Hatchery, by fall they were all laying pretty regularly (not quite as good as my Buff hen from the previous year that laid every day, but still good). I also had an older Pekin female who was laying. By November the laying was getting spotty, then by December no eggs. Now I had heard that ducks were good winter layers, so I wasn't sure what to do. I piled straw around their houses, made sure they had deep bedding in their house, gave them as much food as they would eat, but still no eggs. I though maybe the extreme cold (I live in Michigan and it has been in the negatives) and the lack of daylight were effecting them, so I tried not to worry. Well, just this past week my Pekin hen started laying, every day. But my Welsh girls... nothing!

Anyone have had this problem, and is their anything I can do? Do your ducks normally lay through the winter?? Is there anything I can give them to jump start their laying?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I don't have any girls so this answer is not from personal experience, but I have heard ducks do not normally lay during the winter. I may be wrong though.

3. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Do you have a light on them Ducksndaffodils?

Most birds need a 16 hour day for good laying. I use a 100W timed light on all my ducks and chickens, on at 4 off at 9, am and pm.

I start it in August, and keep it until late April, when the sun is up at 4am and down at 9pm.

4. DucksnDaffodils

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you both! I guess my info about ducks laying through winter was wrong. I do not have a light, and due to the shape and location of their houses there is no possibility of my giving them light. I guess I will just have to wait till spring time! [​IMG]

5. DucksnDaffodils

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    So one of my younger Pekins started laying a week or so ago, and then just yesterday morning I went out early to collect eggs (before they froze!) and there were 3.... !!!THREE!!! in the Welsh Harlequin coop!! I got 3 again this morning!! [​IMG] So happy! ( I have 5 WH ducks, so hopefully all of them soon..)

6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Yay! Keep up the good work girls ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by