ducks not staying with eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Larry Idle, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Larry Idle

Larry Idle New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    http://[email protected]I have 5 ducks, Mallards, 3 Male and 2 females. I also have 5 RoadIsland Reds. I had to separate the ducks from the chickens due to the ducks were being aggressive to the chickens. My female ducks are laying eggs out in the open and not in their housing. And this is Feb. 2015. And I live in Indiana. My question is, why are the ducks laying out in the cold run area and not in their house. There is plenty off straw and leafs in their housing. So is this normal? Why aren't the ducks setting on their eggs?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I don't know much about ducks. But chickens only sit on eggs when they are broody - a hormonal thing. Maybe that is the same with ducks. Please go to "OTHER Backyard Poultry" in the forum section above. You will find threads concerning ducks. I am sure those folks can answer your questions.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks, and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! I hope you find all the answers to your question in the duck section that michael OShay has left for you. Wishing you the best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I hope you find the answer to your question. Good luck!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Sorry, I don't know much about ducks. You may want to post in the Ducks section that Michael O'Shay linked to. Good luck with your flock!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Unfortunately, I don't know much about ducks, either. I would definitely recommend posting your questions in the Duck section of the forums.

Good luck with your birds!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by