Ducks okay to stay outside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HenniePennie, Dec 6, 2009.

1. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    I know, it's a crazy questions especially since 'wild' ducks don't build duck houses!! This is the first year I have had ducks. I have a pair of white crested. They hang with my pair of bb-bronze turkeys and the four of them stay outside all the time. Their pool had some ice in it but they were swimming away in it. I don't have to worry about their feet freezing?
    Someone please put my mind at eas !!

I love my poultry!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    No need to worry about them as long as they can get out easily. [​IMG] Ducks are actually better off in winter if they can get to some sort of bathing water; it stimulates their oil glands. Ours always got bedraggled during the Alaskan winters from the pool icing over, so we'd let them into the bathtub for a quick bath and an afternoon of preening and pooping inside after the tub was drained. LOL

3. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    pardygwyn, thank you for the info. Today I purchased a heat thing to keep their kiddie pool from freezing. I didn't get back til late and it was already 17 degrees without figuring in the wind chill factor. My pipes underground froze so I have no water so they'll have to wait til tomorrow!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by