ducks on floor of tiles

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amatboly, Jun 4, 2012.

1. amatboly

amatboly In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    i want to ask help i have some ducks i keep under them clean and dry but the problem i keep them on floor of tiles i live in egypt but the bedding i was keep then on was odor after 2 days ( will i face any problem? )

like that [​IMG][​IMG]

2. fifenashia

fifenashia Songster

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    Need more information; is this all they have to be on or do you have shavings/straw too? Is this in the house or outside?

Tile or something like it is not a bad ideal for under ducks as long as they have some form of substrate on top for better grip. Hope this helps some at least!

3. amatboly

amatboly In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    nothing on the tiles but the tiles so ancient [​IMG] so they have good grip because its not slippy do i will have any problem

4. amatboly

amatboly In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    help please iam dummy

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not dummy!!! [​IMG]

Tiles are okay for duck feet, but for duck poop (waste, manure), you need something like straw or sawdust to take up water and make less smell.

Some people hose down the floor. I use straw and leaves and move them when they are dirty to a compost pile (makes good garden soil).

Thank you for pictures!

If you can upload photo's of ducks, that would be nice, if you have them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. amatboly

amatboly In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    many thanks amiga for your help

iam sorry they are local breed [​IMG] in egypt so they are not good breed to see but i want to make my food by myself although i live in urban city

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    amatboly,

I love seeing ducks, they don't have to be special, but you do not have to post pictures. [​IMG]

You have a very good idea about growing and raising food in the city. [​IMG]

I am in the suburbs, and I am enjoying learning how to raise food. My ducks are Runners, weigh about 2 Kg, make eggs almost every day except for several weeks in winter.

In an urban area, you may be able to get clean shredded paper. Some people use that for bedding (what the ducks walk and sleep on). It might work for you. Some people don't like it as much as straw, but straw may be difficult to find where you are. Used clean cardboard under the shredded paper might help, too. I keep my ducks at night in my basement [​IMG] and sometimes I put some cardboard down under places where they sleep (because that is where there is more poop). I compost the cardboard, too, even though it takes longer to turn into good soil.

Ducks enjoy some vegetables, and some grains, and they need some protein, too. Have you thought of raising worms indoors to feed to your ducks? Just an idea that works for many people, as part of what they feed.

Remember their poop is very good fertilizer. I add a little water and put it in the garden around the plants. And they eat bugs and weeds!

8. amatboly

amatboly In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2012
    what about beach sand i live near the sea and i think it will be cheap and good bedding ( i have smelly experience with wood shavings as bedding )

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some people like bedding with sand, it could be worth a try.

I found sand got very stinky very quickly at my place.

Try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: