Ducks on the run (pics added like promised)

Kmoreau

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Long story short, I have been renting a townhouse for the past year. We decided to buy a fixer uppper on a great piece of property in a great location. My landlord didnt know about my 2 pekins, and he wanted to start showing the house. It broke my heart, but we decided to move them to our new house for the mean time. I have been checking on them twice a day if not more. Its fully fenced, and they seem to like the new bigger yard. Down the street is a small day care facility. My husband was driving over to the new house, and passed by the day care. He just so happened to look over because there was alot of kids in the parking lot sitting in a circle. As he drove by he saw two ducks inside the circle running around getting petted and being fed. (someone there was smart enough to be giving them veggies instead of bread YAY ) Turns out, a contractor left my gate open and they helped themselves to some attention, a hand out, and a good pet. lol

I have been thinking about making them therapy ducks as they get alittle older. I have a friend that works at the childrens hospital, and another who works with special needs children, who both suggested it lol. I guess they show the right behavior for that job.

As for their safety, I yelled at the contractor for leaving the gate open, and I have now put a pad lock on it arrgghhh!!! but I was wondering if I could tag them somehow. I was thinking about maybe getting a break away small cat/kitten collar and a small pet tag. ( I figured break away incase it gets caught it wont hurt them.) I would never leash them from that, only from their harnesses. I just want something on them i ncase they even got lose again. Do you think that would be good/safe???

Last edited:
Well thank goodness they're okay and got back home safe. That kind of stuff really irks me. If the gate was closed when you got there, close it when you leave!
barnie.gif
I would think that since a duck's neck is thicker the closer it gets to it's body that a collar probably wouldn't work. I'd be afraid it would slip down and choke them if it was tight enough not to just slip off their necks. But it seems to me that I've seen it mentioned that there are leg bands that hold information. I know you can stamp the bands for id purposes. I'd look into that, too.

eta: Home Depot carries velcro straps in colors (to bundle cords and things). You could write a phone number on it with sharpie.
Here is a link to a site that carries leg bands that look similar to hospital bracelets. They come in different colors and sizes and they make a special marker to write on them with. They call them "blank leg band for small-legged animals" http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/Livestock+Identification/Leg+Bands/

Last edited:
I talked with the workers and put up a sign at the gate to not leave it open. But I went by last Night and gate open no sign of ducks... I was crying and running up and down the street calling for them. I heard them quacking to me from a neighbors backyard. Thank god they were safe. I have now moved them back to my old house until this renovation is over, I would rather get in trouble with my landlord for having them, then losing them!!!

I went and got them some kitten break away collars with name tags. I work at a pet shop so they are cheap for me. I put it on them, and they have been just fine. I left them really loose. Them didn't mind at all, and they left each others alone. They haven't slipped off and they been swimming and foraging all day. I just hope it works... Not to mention how darn cute they look

I'm Happy you got them back..
Darned workers SHUT THE GATE !!
rant.gif
barnie.gif

You tease us with how cute they are with the collars on but you don't show a picture!
hit.gif

I am waiting for my camera to charge up then I will post them. I am just surprised and how little of a fuss there was with them wearing them. Lol

Oh goodness! I am so happy you got them back! Once was luck, TWICE is a miracle! I love happy endings, and am so glad that they are back. I for one, would 2nd the flag-leg bands. Those look like a better choice then kitten collars.
Hope they stay safe!

Haha... Well I have a duck dog (my choc lab) so maybe I have dog duck. They are always jelous of my dogs and were always very interested in their collars. Now they have their own. Lol.., I just it's time to teach them heel and fetch

The Pics I promised.... Look how cute
big_smile.png
(I am a proud mama)

this is my drake in his lime green collar
97923_goose_collar.jpg

and my little girl in her pink one of course!!!
97923_gander_grace_collar.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom