ducks or chickens???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abelseville, May 28, 2010.

1. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    I have three nieces coming to visit for a week and am going to set an incubator to hatch while they are here. I have done chickens quite a few times now and am doing very well but I've got it in my head to do ducks because they are so cute. Are they harder to hatch? prone to more scary gross problems that would bum out the kids? I have no experience hatching ducks...

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I assume you have a few weeks notice to organise things...Most ducks take 28 days to hath and Muscovies take 35 days. A few tips for hatching... Keep eggs on the sides laying down- rather than standing up in a turner. They do require higher humidity and some people mist their duck eggs....

They are very cute- but Im sure your nieces would love either just as much.

3. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    So I shouldn't use the turner? Does this mean I have to turn them manually?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Some people do use turners for ducks eggs. I did to begin with - But after a few poor hatches..I was told to try them on their sides and hand turn - and it has improved my hatch rates. I turn three times a day for the first 5 - 7 days. And then twice a day until lockdown... It only takes a few moments each time and also gives me a sense of being more involved in the incubation process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by