Ducks Or Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Horsebackrules, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Horsebackrules

Horsebackrules Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Ok so originally I was going to get 2 ducks but then I considered adding a goose. However, my mom said only two and I couldn't get one of each (no idea...don't ask [​IMG]) So what do you think? I want a good companion that is loyal and affectionate. To me that it's the most important thing. I'd also want them to not be too noisy but the occasional loud honk/quack would be ok. We get cold winters here so they also need to be cold hardy.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I love both ducks and geese, but ducks are less noisy and easier to take care of in general. They are both really cold hardy. It is actually good to raise a fairly small number of ducks at one time if you want them to really bond with you rather than bonding with just each other.

3. Horsebackrules

Aug 12, 2014
    So would they still be loyal and affectionate? I know geese will be but would ducks be the same?

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think ducks can be as affectionate as geese. With either geese or ducks it depends more on how you raise them. If you have 2 ducks and raise them to be very comfortable with being held and spend lots of time with them, then they will probably be afectionate. I am not as sure about runner ducks. We raised 10 runner ducks at the same time, and while they were adorable, when they grew up and went into our large enclosure, they would rather hang out together than spend time with us. That may partly be because we raised so many at once they bonded more with each other than with us. We raised 6 Pekin ducks who would come spend time with us whenever we went into the enclosure.

5. Horsebackrules

Aug 12, 2014
    Ok thanks! I think I will end up getting two drakes because the smaller amount of poop is a plus lol. They're also available almost year round. Drakes because it means less noise and I don't want eggs. I'm thinking a Welsh Harlequin and a Cayuga (maybe not cayuga.. my mom thinks they're ugly while I think they're gorgeous... let's see if I can convince her otherwise! ) If I can't get a Cayuga then I'll probably go for a Pekin or Rouen

6. Horsebackrules

Aug 12, 2014
    I seem to have run into a problem... The only feed I can find for adults is layer feed! [​IMG] If I do get drakes will this be a problem?

7. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you are getting ducklings, they need higher protein and calcium is bad for their internal development. There is nothing around like Purina All Flock? Adult drakes would likely be okay with layer feed, but All Flock would be better. I think it has more e Niacin which is important for water fowl.

8. Horsebackrules

Aug 12, 2014
    I've found good feed until after finisher. I'm ordering off tractor supply and the best I can find is Purina Layena

9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh in that case you could just keep them on the finisher. It has 15% protein, nutrients appropriate for water fowl and no calcium.

10. Horsebackrules

Aug 12, 2014
    Ok thanks! It's actually grower/finisher... is this a problem? It still has 15% protein though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by