Ducks (or maybe geese?) dropped off at my house. Please help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by augustwest, May 12, 2011.

1. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    [​IMG]

I have a small flock of chickens and a friend just called me in a panic. She's a vet tech and apparently someone brought her this little trio last night. They were in a baseball field, following kids around. She's got no bird experience and is bringing them to me. Apparently there were no parents in sight. I have no idea if she did the right thing by picking them up, but here were are!

Any idea what I am dealing with? Are they canana geese maybe? I will keep them away from my chickens for now and will research while waiting for responses here. She went to TS and got some "duck food" that they recommended. They are lively and following her husband and kids around.

They are cute!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What you have there is.... Duck Duck Goose... and look about the right age to have been bought at Easter. So sad.- Your friend did the right thing- they would not have survived on their own for very long at all.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Your friend did the right thing, they all look like domestic babies. One goose and two ducklings. I'm not sure exactly what breed of goose it is, but it doesn't look like a Canada goose. Makes me sad that someone would just leave them out there like that!

4. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Poor babies! I'm glad they're safe now. I hate when people do this! There was just an ad on craigslist today from people who were going to "release" their birds but just now learned that was wrong- trying to do the right thing now but still... If your friend doesn't feel like she can keep these babies I'm sure she could find someone in the area to take them. I wish you were close to me so I could! If she decided to keep them just have here look on this site for some great info on raising them.

5. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Aww poor little orphans... Where in Central MA are you? I'm from Lunenburg...

6. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I am also in central MA and if she can't take them I would love to. I don't mind driving if need be. I hope she can keep them and give them a great happy life. poor babies.

7. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I'm in Lunenburg, too!!!! What are the chances?? PM me, if you'd like.

I'm picking them up at 4:00. My heart is breaking... I can't believe they aren't wild! I'm at work and stepping into another meeting so just a quick THANK YOU and update.

My plan is to put them in my bathroom with a heat lamp (needed?) and their food. I'm traveling this weekend to Maine to visit my mother and will take them with me. We'll set them up at her house and figure out what they need and how healthy they are. Is the "duck food" ok? She got it at TC in Amherst, I think.

She said that the 2 littles are following the goose around if a human isn't around to follow. I'm totally swooning.....

Thank you all so much!

8. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I got a better picture texted to me at work:

[​IMG]

Are they the cutest things EVER???

9. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    The black beak looks maybe brown Chinese or African? The one baby duck has eye stripes, and the other has a cap and shading..maybe a Swedish? About -3-4 weeks old? Looks like specific breeds, not your run of the mill, pekin, mallard easter mix. and why the goose?Someone not sell all their babies, and took them to a park, hoping some soft touch would take them home....[​IMG]

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I was thinking African and Chinese for the goose, too. Geese are expensive, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by