1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks picking on chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaSampson, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    My ducks have starting pecking and pulling feathers on my chickens! They're both girls and one grew up with the chickens I have so it's not that they're new. The second duck I've had for a few weeks but she's never paid any attention to them other than feeding time. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What are you feeding them? How long has this been going on?

3. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    Cracked corn plus they run free in the yard so they forage too. I just noticed it today.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Cracked corn is not a complete diet. They could be pulling the feathers to supplement a deficiency. Are they eating the feathers?

5. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    No just pulling. What else do they need for a complete diet?

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Where are the feathers being pulled from? Have they tried to mount your chickens?

I would still give them access to some form of poultry feed especially any laying birds. Laying eggs takes a lot out of them and their bodies can quickly use up certain nutrients for egg production. Since they are free ranging they probably will not need as much feed as penned birds would need.

7. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    From the tail region. They aren't laying that I'm aware. I've not seen any eggs laying around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by