Duck's pip is not a zip.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatGold, Mar 18, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    So sorry, I've been writing about this under a different subject line (dry hatch), but I just realized something that is so weird and is not related to dry hatching that I had to start a new thread. My apologies if this seems like an over-post.

Okay, so my ducking has been trying to get out since Friday night. On Friday, there was a little pip hole. Since then, the hole has gotten bigger. The diameter is a little smaller than a dime.

But that's it. It's an ever (and ever-so-slowly) widening pip hole. Other chicks I have hatched in the past have zipped the top off. There is no zipper affect here and she's been trying to get out for about 36 hours.

Does this make sense?

I cannot tell what is poking out. A bit of the bill, a bit of wing, I cannot tell. But she keeps trying and is vocalizing.

Please advise!!

p.s. If you hadn't read the other post, the history is this. I tried a dry hatch, I'm using a Hovabator with an egg turner and forced air (first time in this bator and first time dry hatcher). We started lockdown Friday morning. I removed the turner and cranked up the water on the bottom. Humidity never reads more than 47 percent but there is water there. This morning, I opened the top for the first time and put the eggs on a wet paper towel and wrapped the corner of the wet towel around the pipping egg. Temp is a little low at at 98 and humidity remains in the upper 40s. She's externally pipped Friday night and here's where you came in.

2. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Okay, so after 48 hours of virtually no progress, I picked up the egg in a warm, moist paper towel. Clearly, she was shrink-wrapped. The shell and membrane were very dry. The shell was brittle and the membrane was dry and strong.

I chipped a little shell away, and it easily fell off the membrane. The duckling struggled a little and pulled out of the membrane after I opened it a little. I was very careful and it all went surprisingly quickly. Part of the shell and membrane are still attached to the backside because they did not easily fall away.

I put the duckling back into the bator which was still warm (I kept the top down during the procedure) but the duckling started shaking violently. I got another very warm moist paper towel and put it over her body to warm here and she's still shaking.

All this just happened within the last 10 or 15 minutes.

I guess there's nothing to do but wait, but I thought I'd post an update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by