Ducks Raised For Meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oregon Blues, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I thought anyone planning to raise ducks for meat might be interested.

Mine have got 2 weeks to go. The Swedish, which were purchased for the freezer, are substantially smaller than the Appleyards that are a week younger.

I'm not butchering the Appleyards, but they would sure be giving a better return for time and effort. They are not only bigger, but built differently: broader through the chest, bigger through the thighs. I just hope these Swedish grow a lot in the next two weeks.

Pekins are supposed to give the best feed conversion, and I've got a few of those, but they are just 10 days old. They are growing fast and it looks promising.

To be fair to Swedish ducks, the freezer ducks are from a hatchery and so far from standard that they don't look like purebreds. They are nothing like my exhibition Swedish.

Dollarwise, I paid $3 each for the Swedish and $10 each for the Appleyards and that would make a huge difference in the price per pound.

I'm thinking that in the future, if I buy more ducks for the freezer, it won't be Swedish.

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

We have been talking about doing away with our ducks (cayugas and mallards).. I know they aren't the typical "meat duck".. however I have a bit of an aversion to eating duck thanks to my grandmother traumatizing me about it when I was three years old (long story there)
    Slowly I am thinking about changing my mind.. though a few of the guys my husband works with have said they will gladly take these ducks for free and invite them to their freezers

I did bring in a few duck eggs the other day.. and i was tempted to put them in the incubator .. but still am not 100% sure I can eat one.. at least not a smaller duck like these. I think if I ever do decide to raise some for meat I would be tempted to go with Pekins,, and then tell myself over and over that they are going to go to freezer camp [​IMG]

I know how to process them and it does take a bit longer than processing a chicken. Are you planning on skinning yours or are you going to pluck and use duck wax? For smaller ducks it hardly seems worth the effort it takes to process them for what little you get. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya that yours Swedish dress out to a nice weight

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    we need to get a muscovy drake,then we will have meat ducks.

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Thanks, that is good to know. Keep us posted on your Pekins. My DH and I are talking about getting a few ducks next year in a "package" with a few turkeys and butchering the extras we don't want to keep.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I perfer the taste of muscovy to other ducks. They're larger and well.. ugly as adults, for some reason it's easier to butcher the less cute one. Since they go broody and raise large numbers of ducklings a trio can raise 30-40 duckings a year. Even mr saddi doesn't want duck weekly.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Good to know.. I personally have never tasted duck.. so I have no idea which breed tastes the best... and you're right.. they aren't the cutest in the duck world.. lol

7. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    i had 40 muscovy last year and 70 pekin ducks this year. the difference between them is huge. at 50-60 days, my pekins are double the size of the 5 months old muscovy. so, as a meat ducks, i sure prefer the pekins. i butchered 24 already and i was very pleased. in fact, i am much more pleased of the ducks than the cornish x chickens.

8. momofpets

momofpets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    "jenny_kap
    Today 10:06 am i had 40 muscovy last year and 70 pekin ducks this year. the difference between them is huge. at 50-60 days, my pekins are double the size of the 5 months old muscovy. so, as a meat ducks, i sure prefer the pekins. i butchered 24 already and i was very pleased. in fact, i am much more pleased of the ducks than the cornish x chickens."

Jenny_Kap - How does the taste of the muscovies compare to the Pekins? Thanks!

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could talk my husband into letting me raise some meat ducks for us and for dog food. He thinks they're too cute to butcher so he put a big NO on ducks or geese. Only chickens or turkeys here. Gunieas when I get out to the country and can have noisier flying birds. I'd sure like to have more variety, especially for my dog's diet.

10. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    Quote:mom, i didn't note any difference. probably i should taste them in the mean time, to see if they taste different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by