Ducks Ready to go Outside?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cdnngr, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cdnngr

cdnngr New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi! I have three flying mallard ducklings, about 4 weeks old now! They have been outside during the day time since about week 3, but come in at night. I am curious on when can these guys stay out permanently?! Our weather is kind of wacky, they have been off of their heat lamp since around 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, and they have feathers on their tummies.

Thoughts?! :)

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Id give at least a week 2.Let them grow alil bit more.

3. faststell

faststell Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    You should definitely wait till your ducks can fly, probably around week 6, and then don't force them outside see if they are comfortable, usually they want to spend the night out when there older but they must be able to fly or they can't escape predators (depends on where you live if you have predators) and they will most likely be injured or even killed. Unless you have a well protected pen outside. Sorry I sound so protective but lots of predators are out to get your little duckies unless you live somewhere where there is not a lot of them.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Predators will come after your ducks. Even ducks that can fly can be taken.

I would set up a safe shelter for them.

1 person likes this.
  5. cdnngr

cdnngr New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    Yes we have a safe shelter and pen for them, of course! I am more curious about the weather, and experiences you all have had!

Thanks!

6. faststell

faststell Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    well during rain make sure there are no leaks and when it's snowing they don't really need heaters they just need warm light bulbs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by