Ducks refuse new duck food

sustainabee

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
Central texas
So my spoiled rotten ducks refuse to eat duck food.. The place I had been getting their food stopped stocking duck food so I bought some chicken food to replace it. They will not touch it. It'd been days of them refusing to eat, quacking very loudly at me to feed them with full bowls of food at their feet. Eventually, they got into a bowl of dog food and gobbled it up. They loooved the dog food so I fed them that while I went out looking for other duck food. I bought some at tractor supply and the lady said I definitely shouldn't feed them dog food and they would eventually accept the chicken food they're being given. I bought a new brand just in case as well as some meal worms. They wouldn't touch either for days until they finally caved and ate it. I went back for the big bag and apparently something is different because they absolutely won't eat it anymore and it's been over a week. They've also stopped laying eggs so I'm growing concerned that they're not getting the nutrients they need by just eating bugs/plants from the yard. I talked with the place that used to sell duck food and they got a new brand in so I'm going to try that but I'm so confused as to why they won't eat! They're definitely hungry and if given the chance they'll eat a whole bowl of dog food so why not the chicken food! I've tried 3 brands now, including one that was basically just dried corn and sunflower seeds, and they won't touch it. I need some eggs and the few they have laid had a super thin shell. I saw oyster shells at the feed store which would help if they're deficient in Calcium but I honestly don't think they'd eat them if they wouldn't even eat the meal worms I gave them! They eat a lot from my gardens, gourd leaves are their favorite and they pick off any tomato hornworms I end up getting (I taught them to do that earlier this year :) ) but I don't think its enough with them not eating any duck/chicken feed. Also, if I try to give them fresh food (peas, corn, spinach) they look at me like I'm trying to poison them and refuse to try it. They used to love fresh peas, they'd chase me around the garden for them! Then I go a season where I didn't have any and when I grew them again, the ducks forgot what they were and kept spitting them out. They drive me so crazy sometimes! Any helpful tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Poultry of all species hate change. When changing feed it is always better to do so gradually. Increasing the % of the new feed over a period of time until they are 100 % on the new feed. Hopefully they will like the new duck feed once you get it.

If you switch to fermented feed, the duckies are less likely to notice a change in feed.

I have to switch between two types of feed (due to availability) but since it all goes into becoming fermented feed, no one really seems to notice.

The only thing I have noticed is that if I use lower protein feed to make the fermented feed, everyone is hungrier than when I use the higher protein feed.

Will your duckies eat scrambled or fried eggs? Fish, like tuna or salmon? I supplement my duckies with extra high protein often.

Don't guess it matters since they are being picky and not eating it anyway. But I've learned not to feed ducks spinach because it prevents the absorption of calcium. :) you might want to go ahead and put out the oyster shell and just give them time. If they need the calcium perhaps they will eventually figure it out. They sure can be stubborn can't they!

Thanks everyone! I'd of loved to been able to gradually switch the feed but didn't know they'd just stop making the duck feed I was using! :( I will keep it in mind to not wait to get more feed until I'm already out though! I'm not sure about using fermented feed, I'll have to do some looking around the web because I honestly haven't heard of it! I did notice the big bag I got has antibiotics in it so there's some difference between what I had in the small bag. All the bags are the same color and there's one small stamp saying antibiotics, that's absolutely the only difference in the bags, but the ducks certainly noticed it was different. I'm going to go to the local feed store and get the new feed they made. Hopefully it'll go over well with them and they can start giving me eggs again or at least stop harassing me so much! :) I'm just concerned its not normal or I'm doing something wrong for them.

Back
Top Bottom