Ducks seem to be having muscle spasms????????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I left for 3 days and when I returned my ducks Were acting Funny, They ran up to me. (which is crazy in itself Im the Bad man to them With Big scissors) I noticed first one duck constantly rolling his neck back almost as if he was having a spasm. then I noticed another one in the back doing the same thing. I called out my wife and kid to help me herd them and pin them in a fence so I could observe them. Sure enough all of the ducks had some kind of twitch either in there wings or necks or chest. I have them all penned up for the night till I go to the vet tomorrow. I quickly did a run threw of my farm to see what was out of place or not right. (left the farm with the girls and Friend) Only thing i noticed is there night time pool hadn't been dumped for 3 days its shallow it was horrid and almost like syrup. I quicky cleaned it out and sprayed them for about an hour letting them drink tons of fresh water from the hose. I cleaned and disinfected there pool feeders waterers cleaned there bedding. did what I would do If i didnt leave.
    I know the doc said he thought it was avian chorela or something like that he said he could treat them. (we only talked on the phone) Is this something that anyone else has experienced and is it worth spending the money on a meat bird I don't even have much invested in? are they gonna die even if I get them some meds? if anyone has any anwsers I sure apreciate them thank you. [​IMG]

P.S. there all adults!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Anyone?

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Um, check out this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=60680

Sounds more like botulism than avian cholera, which is a gastrointestinal disease, severe diarrhea leading to dehydration and death. The first symptom of botulism is a weak neck ("limberneck") per the article.

I know that botulism grows in anaerobic, stagnant, foul water duisring warm weather. Wild ducks get this in big pandemics and die en mass during droughts where they become concentrated on increasingly smaller, more polluted, and more stagnant little ponds in places like Minnesota with all of the little pothole lakes and ponds, on in marshes along coastal areas.

I hope everything works out ok for them. Let us know what you find out.

I'd be more than a little upset with my children if I were you if it turns out that their inattention to taking care of the birds contributed to this problem.

4. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Now that I read that I wonder if its perhaps just nature that did this it has been raining for 5 days none stop and we have 5 days more to go The gardens have spoiled from drowning. theres murky muddy puddles everywhere not to mention the night pool they get wasnt dumped in aprox 3 days. from what i read I might chalk it up as a loss and start all over? those were my only breeder ducks i had. thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by