Ducks seizing and unable to stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by superduckrescue, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM.

1. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Right after feeding my ducks this morning, they started to not be able to stand and throwing back their heads and shaking like a seizure. They also started drooling.

We took away all food and water and I squeezed they're creeps to get what I could out. The food is kept inside in a bit and is not molded. The feeding bowls are the same we always use.

I have them all bottled water and washed them off. The older ducks have not shown any signs yet but all the ducklings have. I assume it's because they are smaller.

Does anyone have any ideas? All I can think of is the city water. Maybe they used a chemical or something. We are going to replace the food and give only bottled water.

The only treatment I know for poisoning is activated charcoal but without knowing what painted them, I don't want to rush using it.

Please help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take them to a vet?

3. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I sqeezed their crops and gave them lots of bottled water. Within an hour, they were all ok. We think it was something in the water. We think they were more affected than the older ducks because they are smaller.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you supplementing some B complex vitamins for the extra niacin that ducks need for leg health? Be careful trying to make them vomit, because you can accidentally cause them to choke to death. Have you done any work on your water line, and and has there been any interruption in your water? You might want to post on the duck forum as well since the duck experts are more often there:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

5. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Yes all of them are fine now. I have done the crop emptying before and know how it is done. I Have saved 10 other ducklings actually by doing it from them not being able to breathe after almost drowning. It was my only choice to save these too which worked (They almost stopped having seizures like 1mi after) The poison was still in the crop and I had to get it out. If I didn't they would have probably died. Yes, we figured out the city was doing pipe work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM
  6. superduckrescue

superduckrescue Chirping

Mar 26, 2019
    Austin, TX
    They have all the vitamins. Plus this was right after them drinking the water and the type seizers were caused by the toxin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: